Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Eldoret, Kenya

Well, having made it to Kenya, through 4 airplanes and a lengthy bus ride, we are in Eldoret. A beautiful, beautiful country, sunny, with friendly people. It's good to be here.

Yesterday I photographed the dedication of the Open Arms property, a groundbreaking ceremony for the grounds that will become a medical clinic for the villagers, an AIDS orphanage, and more. In good African tradition, the ceremony started about 2 hours late, and people kept arriving throughout the day--probably about a thousand of them, all arriving by foot or bicycle.


Part of the festivities included a ceremonial procession and dance by the local Callingen tribal ceremony. This is their leader.


I can only say I was jealous of this young man's repose; it was a long day. And unlike me, he doesn't have to worry about sunburn....


As I was working, this man, David, invited me to his home. With his wife, we walked the red dirt paths, through barbed wire fences and fields, to their beautiful little farm. Over tea, we talked about farming, looked over their Bible and hymn book (in Callingen), and watched a few minutes of lions bringing down a zebra on their 9-inch black and white television (powered by a 12-volt car battery). A sweet couple, and the highlight of my day.


On the way back from lunch at the local Chief's house, this woman asked me--with hand gestures and words I could not comprehend--to take her photograph. No, the locals (except for this woman) don't all dress in furs and have large holes in their ears, as this woman does. But who can turn down a request to take such a photograph?

Portland travel photographers.

1 comment:

  1. amazing pictures, cuz. I love looking at all your pictures, but these ones are magnificent! I'm a little jealous that you get to go to Africa!. Is Shannon with you?

    ReplyDelete