Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gordes, France


Gordes, Provence, France, is listed as one of the most beautiful villages in France. It's too bad it's overrun by tourists during the day. Apparently, movie stars have houses here as well.


I saw a photograph today from 1904 of the village, and it was considerably different. A hundred years ago, there were more buildings, but it was also quite shabby and decrepit. Today it's interesting, to me, to explore and discover remnants of the old houses, the remains of which are carved into the sandstone cliffs and buried in the detritus of the hillside. As I looked through photographs from 100 years ago and more, I could still recognize doors and alleys and buildings that I had discovered while poking around this past week.


I've photographed it at several different times of day. This image is a favorite of the set.


I love being a travel and editorial photographer!

No comments:

Post a Comment