Sunday, September 30, 2007

Long Island Boardwalk

After a photo shoot in Long Island, NY, my friend Rich Swingle and I raced out to Long Beach before the sun set, hoping to get in the water on one of the last warm days of the season. We arrived, and walked up the boardwalk facing the ocean. Looking to our left, the full moon was just rising above the horizon, and to the right, the red sun was setting. Same size orbs on either end of the horizon, perfectly symmetrical.

Here's my poorly assembled panoramic of the scene. (When, oh when, will someone come out with a great panoramic digital camera? Or even a poor one? Anything! Please!)



But my favorite thing to do, of course, is watch people. As I was there on the boardwalk, watching the sun set, this young couple came up the ramp from the beach. The boy was carrying a skateboard, its wheels and underside coated in thick, wet sand. He came over and asked if I had a light, and we started talking. They'd been trying to skate on the sand at the water's edge, and both agreed that it hadn't been a successful venture. He's from Hawaii, and she's from France. They graciously allowed me to photograph them there on the boardwalk, in the failing sunlight.


See more of my travel and editorial photography in New York and around the world at www.fritzphotographic.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment