Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Zoe


I find myself more and more drawn to faces, alone. I love to watch people, but usually in photographing them I'm making some statement about who they are, utilising their environment, dress, body language, action.

But faces. Like a butterfly hunter with his swinging net, searching constantly for something intriguing, out of the ordinary, or even something lovely in its ordinariness, I begin to collect faces. Eyes, really. And light.

In Mexico, I met a local man with the most beautiful green eyes. His name was Fili, and we expected to spend a day or two with him. Unfortunately, due to illness, we never saw him again, and I grieve the loss of the image of his kind face and those beautiful green eyes. So I become more diligent, capturing what intrigues me, swinging my net about for those rare beauties that come along the path. Pinning them to velvet for remembrance, inspiration.

Georgia O'Keefe's teacher taught her to "fill the canvas with beautiful things," so I shall.

View more at www.fritzliedtke.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment